Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice-Cream!
Serves up to 8
Hands on: 30 minutes
Total duration: 8 hours 30 minutes
- 2 bunches fresh mint
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Pinch fine sea salt or table salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1. In a large saucepan combine mint, milk, sugar, cream and salt over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. (3-5 minutes)
2. With a large bowl strain the milk mixture through while trying to extract the liquid as much as possible. Make sure to discard the mint!
3. Then return the milk mixture to the saucepan and place over medium-low heat.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks while adding 1 cup of the warm milk mixture to the egg yolks until fully combined. Return to the saucepan with the remaining milk mixture and cook until the mixture thickens to custard and coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Remove the custard from heat and then strain. Let sit until slightly cool for about 10 minutes, then refrigerate covered until cold, at least 3 hours. For best results leave overnight.
6. Transfer the custard to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Fold in the chocolate. Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 4 days.
Enjoy your FABULOUS homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream! Please Instagram or Facebook us your homemade masterpiece. We look forward to seeing what you have created!