The watermelon is a more versatile fruit than one may expect—its potential goes far beyond an extra role in a fruit salad or as the beloved fruit often enjoyed as a refreshing summer snack. Let’s reinvision the classic and often boring uses and dare to test our inner culinary artist! Grill it, pickle it, blend it, freeze it; The possibilities are endless! In celebration of National Watermelon Day—Fabulous Foods decided to let watermelon be the star of the show with these three creative recipes. What are you waiting for?
Grilled Watermelon with Blue Cheese & Prosciutto
- 3 (1/2-inch-thick) watermelon rounds, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons bottled balsamic glaze
1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Brush both sides of each watermelon quarter with olive oil, and season with desired amount of salt and pepper. Cut prosciutto into thin strips.
2. Grill watermelon quarters, without grill lid, 1 minute on each side or until grill marks appear.
3. Transfer watermelon to a serving plate; top with blue cheese, prosciutto strips, and fresh basil. Drizzle watermelon with balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.
- 1/2 cup hot pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups seeded and diced fresh watermelon
- 1 cup peeled and diced fresh peaches
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3 cups baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: fresh basil sprigs
1. Whisk together pepper jelly, lime zest, and lime juice in a bowl; stir in watermelon and next 3 ingredients.
2. Season halved baby tomatoes with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste; spoon into cocktail glasses. Top with salsa. Garnish, if desired.
Melon & Plum Salad
- 4 cups seeded and cubed watermelon
- 4 cups honeydew melon balls
- 3 red plums, sliced
- 2 cups torn watercress
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette (See recipe below)
Gently toss together first 5 ingredients, and place on a serving platter. Drizzle with vinaigrette, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup hot jalapeño pepper jelly
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup canola oil
Whisk together vinegar, pepper jelly, mint, onion, and lime juice. Gradually add canola oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until smooth.